I saw a senior's thread of conversation with his friend and I feel pain (maybe) and disappointment... that they might be having of each other right now. I assume they are both 36 years old since that's the age of my senior... and the other friend is his army friend. It started simply over high childcare cost to some big event about parenting and how much one is willing to pay and give up for his child. It led to them commenting on each other upbringing... in a not so friendly way.. ouch! .
This event led me into thinking about this social media (known otherwise as media for social interaction). In general, do people think much when they are commenting on their virtual wall. To start off, I am a person who believe in freedom of speech. But do people know that whatever they are commenting on that wall is subjected to the eyes of many. And behind these eyes of the many, are opinions and thoughts that they are forming of you... as a person. whatever you are commenting may lead to people interpreting it in his/her way. Add in people who are prideful and hope to make their point across and .. the outcome.. may not be what you can control.
you may risk losing a friend.. which is an irony... since this social media is meant for you to be connected with your friend.
Call me a person who think too much, I have been through one episode whereby i deleted a 'friend' who was once closed on FB because i cannot tolerate her comments. For someone who like attention, I guess it is ok to comment and share with your friends, but once your friends who do not know the story commented, it brings things out of focus... and someone may get hurt.
I think quite a bit on the intention of comments that I read on FB... at times. For expression or for attention? it is a fine line to divide really. I am for the former in keeping up with the age of technology to just express some thoughts that i feel at ease to share. Sometime, something is meant to keep as 'real' conversation with people who matters without the view of others. Having no comments commenting on your wall doesn't mean you do not have an audience. It might be that audience is silent.
I see students being affected by comments made by their friends to the extent of fighting it out. They do not know the impact of social media. To them, it could be just a form of expression that lead a string of weird comments that bring things out of focus. Life was simple then when I only have a phone, and i call and share something with just... a friend. As compared to now, when i post a msg and share something. the impact... unbelievable especially kids who just add any other people. I still have 76 friends request on my list.. Mainly students who I do not know who they are.
People are so reactive nowadays, they see the news update and they react instantaneously (for some). They are so preoccupied with other people lives that they forget to live their own lives. They forget to process and chew a bit longer about life and such.. or even to put things in perspective.
Haiz... i am not here to judge about the new social media...
I am not here for attention either.. in this crazy social media age.
I just want to stay connected on FB with my students, friends and cousins.
blogging is to share some inner thoughts with friends who don't mind reading my rants. (if you know me as a person, that's my random ranting. If you don't know me but happen to click on a friend's link to my blog, i thank you for reading this passerby 's blog but we just leave it as a humble human being making some noises and finding one small corner to express herself).
Honestly, blogging actually allows me to express myself better in words through typing (altho in poor grammar) and it document my life in a strange chronological way...
and for today.. i am still disturbed.
p/s my relationship with grammar tenses is categories as "it's complicated"
No comments:
Post a Comment