Episode 1
A gal in my CCA told me that she wanted to withdraw from a art competition which I asked her and another gal to take part. Reason being, she does not have the time. She went on and on about how she has to attend 3 days of chalet, worked in her mother's shop, have extended family's meals and blah blah blah. She simply does not have the time to sew sequins (12 x 12 cm.. at most) onto a canvas bag. woh.. she is 'busy' indeed. .. everything started with "I" and ignoring the fact that the teacher is also making time to guide them for competition so that they can have more CCA points and her partner has Sec 3 extra lessons.
I was disappointed with her totally. A nice student in class (as commented by her teachers), I had plans to groom her for leadership position but this episode totally changed my opinion. I had already explained the rationale for taking part in this competition and hence can only consoled myself that that was obviously not what they wanted.
Episode 2
I attempted to spot questions for my students this year. It didn't work well for the 1st paper and I was rather sad. I wanted them to score because i believed they could and I really put in my best. I held an extra lesson for them today and a boy expressed his view outrightly blaming me for not teaching him the other chapters. Yes, it was my fault. Yes, I should have finished that chapters by giving extra lessons from whatever time i can squeeze out from myself and them... Yes, i should go against my HOD when she suggested that. .. Yes.. if blaming me, the teacher make u feel happy (this is what i told him.. anyway)... this is my first year teaching full geo.. and i cant even tell u (my students) how scared i am, myself. sending 100 of u into that exam hall because a student need to have faith of their teacher.. and this is the first year the teacher is teaching full geo with so many students at her mercy. prior to meeting them in person, I smsed some kids to ask them to inform their classmates and obviously, he was left out for he called me and accused me of not calling him IN PERSON. I simply replied..."do u expect me to call 100 students to inform them? "
I can only seek comfort that my tamagotchis asked the boy to shut up. one of them even posted on his FB.. "never blame the teacher.. blame urself for not studying." yup. i did my best for I even prepared notes on that topic but didn't strongly encourage them to memorise because they just have so many things to memorise and i took pity on them. I shouldn't be that nice and just cover myself by asking them to study all.
It is tough to teach students on self awareness and how their speeches can affect others. If Im sane and free, i guess i would take it in good spirit... but if i'm tired from all the nonsenses, such episode would only aggrevate it.
today, my urge to further my studies in 2012 is even stronger. I need a break.
2 comments:
Don't you know? It's always someone else's fault. By the way..this happens in Uni too!
yup. the fault has to belong to someone. sigh.. blaming is everywhere, as much as self-centered pple.
Post a Comment