Tuesday, May 12, 2009

something that i hate

I have never dislike my uni life. I love the subjects that I took. I love the knowledge that I gained and I like my coursemates who I met along the way of which a few became friends that I'm still keep in contact till this date.

I took Geo and Social Work as my double major and I love every single bites of it.... ok.. maybe not the physical geo component which I struggle abit. I never took geo with the intention of becoming a geography teacher. I was very fix on becoming a social worker.... and geo... is well.. a subject which widen my horizon to the world and I'm a spatial being. I love space, i love how human interact with space...how space make meaning to beings... some will say it's all crap, cos it's all about "smoking" but there's really beauty in that dynamic relationship. (ok, i really dont know if some of u understand what i'm typing, but this is my personal sharing space so just try to understand) and perhaps that also explain why i like art. how objects interact with space.. I just love space... personal space also. Ok.. i dont know how social work come into picture in that context.

Zoom forward to my teaching profession. Since Day ONE when the ministry calls me up for an interview 4 years ago, I tried to change my first CS that I have to Art. Trust me when I said it, my interview was all about why I should teach Geo and not whether am i a good candidate in teaching cos based on my work experience and personal experience, they have no doubt I am a gd candidate in teaching. Thay said it and I shamelessly typed it out now. I failed in my attempt with the ministry to change my CS.

I made another attempt to change my CS when I went to NIE for a second round of interview since I will be teaching art and all art candidates have to show whatever portfoilo they have to the lecturer. The lecturer cleared me very fast to be in the teaching profession teaching Art. However, he said he can't help me to change my CS cos I dont have a degree in Art whereas I have one for Geo. He was nice and told me that most schools need art teachers and usually, one will end up teaching art even if they have art as their 2nd CS.

Yes, most of my peers who have art as their 2nd CS end up teaching art only. However, this is so not true in the school that I'm teaching in. 3 years here, I had been lucky to teach some art but never fully art. I enjoyed working with my Art collegues. Sadly, they left to widen their own horizons and many told me that it's good opportunity for me to be finally be able to teach art fully. B even told me that he left so that i can get to teach art. "Ya , rite!" I am back to square one now with new people posted to this school. I will be back to the "humane" department. I really hate it so dont rub it in.

if you know me, you will know me as a person who rarely use hate to describe her relationship with another object, person.

I HATE MY ARTS DEGREE (maj in GEO part especially).....i really hate it when i'm in the teaching profession.
and perhaps that's why I cant seem to make up my mind what master should I do.

I dont hate geography, i hate how this degree subject me to be in the "humane" department and further subject myself to be in the zone of teaching SS. I hate how it distant me from what i like to teach, what to do. Dont tell me that i can be creative in the humane department. I need to like what i like to do before creativity sets in.

No comments: