Wednesday, February 04, 2009

escapism - is there such a word?


If i have to draw a picture depicting escapism (if there is really such a word- my brain is not really functioning too well at this juncture), it will be a backpack.

I love carrying backpack.... the weight equally distributed on my shoulders. When I like it, I can swing it to one side and take my things out. A great way to block people from standing too close to you on public transport and not to mention, it can also made u look clumsy when people are rushing to get pass you and they have more kinetic energy to knock you and your backpack over. But I still love a backpack!

I started carrying a backpack since my primary school days. It will be nicely pack with some books and some things I cant do without. I feel safe with my backpack. This habit continued into my first job as a medical social worker in the polyclinics which required me to travel constantly. It's not a surprise to those who knew me then that that jobscope was rather demanding for a fresh grad like me at that juncture. Whenever i felt tired and frustrated, I would have a very strong urge to take my backpack and rushed out of the room i'm stuck in... and just keep running.

I stopped carrying my backpack after many comments made from my friends that I should be more err...."ladylike" after my polyclinic days. I learned to let go of my love. "Lady bags" are not too bad.... but well... it's just a bag with my things.... No extra association.

Today.... the feel of running away with my backpack is back again... I just want to run away...

it's back. and.

it's BAD!

No comments: