Saturday, September 08, 2007

Deep in the forest

Deep in the forest
by Toni Payne
I tread, softly,
as each footstep is absorbed by soft brown earth
And I breathe, deeply,
as cool, crisp air fills my lungs with delight.
I observe, serenely,
the sway of the trees moving with the breeze.
And I listen, intently,
for the birds, calling to each other,
their joy at the morning sun.
I touch, briefly,
moist lichen, clinging to the bark of an ancient tree.
And I smell receptively,
the freshness of the decaying leaves and life underfoot.
I watch eagerly,
as a tiny caterpillar squirms across my path;
busy busy in its daily activity.
And I stare, mesmerised,
at the majestic tree which once stood as a master;
now fallen, but giving life to the creatures that call it home.
I gulp, greedily,
the clear water that cascades over rock,
shaping its face for centuries to come.
And I gaze, marvelling,
at the rays of sunlight streaming down through the canopy,
to fill this space with the very substance of life.
Here in this special place,
I have never felt so alive.
Because 'deep in the forest lives the spirit of life'.

I chanced upon this poem from a geo textbook. There is some beauty in this poem that i hope to escape to. School starting yet again... back to reality.. back to the field ploughing. *wails*

No comments: