I have been busy reading my friends' comments/ links/ articles on their Facebook. Visiting youtube/ online forums/ blogs. Spending a longer time reading newspapers/ chatting online with friends/ having family discussions with parents and sisters on national issues and yup, visited a rally and even get to listen it live from where i lived.
Singaporeans became so alive. They are still doing what they are good at - complaining. All their grievances from 'unheard' to heard. I feel a sense of justice amongst peers. I see a group of very young voters who are discussing politics at a very interesting level and I wonder if they have been through any life-threatening events.
I am glad that i am surrounded by people from different walks of life - taxi drivers, housewives, unionist, academic/scholars/friends who have not achieve academically but are doing great now/ doctor/young voters like baby sister/social activists/ social workers/ teachers. they allowed me to see things from different perspectives and challenged me to think critically. i cant say that i understand all policies at this juncture, but i do know that whatever policies the government implemented, it will not be able to satisfy the whole group of people.
I am thankful for living in Singapore and what she has given me and my family at this juncture. The cost of living is definitely higher/ healthcare cost is scary (from my past work experiences as a medical social worker) and seeing my loved ones falling sick/ transporting woes from friends who own cars to family members who have to get squeezed like sardines in the MRT during rush hours with 'foreign talents' (while i get to walk to work and enjoy that few minutes of solitude with just my nano)/ housing prices that hit me personally after much viewing and the exorbitant cash over valuation. I wonder what the government is doing for the salary they received and the lifestyles some of them are living. I am receiving what some of them may deem a decent salary but I need to work hard for it in moulding the future generations with an ever increasing work expectations as the nation progresses to build herself as a education hub with more foreign students coming in staring at me as we try to understand each other. And i always praying hard that my parents and loved ones will be in good health and no illness come and haunt me at this rate that i am working my butt off.
It is easier to comment then doing it and be inside the whirlpool. I agree that it is harder to find people who can lead (just look at what a bad leader in ur work place/school can do in your work environment). There are people who are out there who can lead but due to personal reasons, may choose not to. I can only hope that whoever is out there contesting really meant it when they say that they are ready to serve and serve with a heart. It is really not easy. I agree with some big visions/ policies but when you are on the ground (everyone has his/her livelihood at stake), it is really tiring and you really need a lot of passion and determination and yes.. support. Do not comment unnecessary but constructively. Look at the big picture, work with a conscience.
This is definitely an interesting election. I was very impressed by a resident in my estate who drop a letter at my doorstep to advocate for what he believe in personally. He, in the letter, claims to be just like any normal citizen who depend on public transport, earned $4k but yet finding it hard to cope in the society and like me, worried about those that are earning even lesser and have more commitments. A lot of issues were discussed in the virtual world and papers... but i am really really touched by his action to actually deliver the letters doors to doors... doing his part for his country. Sense of nationalism felt really during this election- in his little personal way and when all adults recite the pledge at various rallies.
i have named this post
the fever (for the massive discussion that i have witnessed and experienced personally for this election)
the audit (as the nation assess and suggest on various policies and we the people assess the parties and their policies)
the change (whoever emerge, i hope the change is for the best) and
the love for the nation (that i never felt so strongly before).
I have made my choice, my vote after lot of thinking . and i believe that voting shd be a secret... so shh shhhhhhh...but ya... i believed in social justice.
i will continue to do what i think i am good in... for my nation. :)
peace -.-v
No comments:
Post a Comment