Saturday, January 16, 2010

Beanstalk

me and my jack and the beanstalk

2006
I was a practicum teacher reliefing his class. He called himself the beanstalk.. and his good friend, Jack when I asked for their name when they request to go to the toilet. When I dont allowed them to go to the toilet, they still went ahead. '_'
Record of that year: He and Jack managed to escape from their Sec 2 Camp @ Changi by making a dash for the fence, hailed a taxi and not forgeting to grab a Macdonald meal before they reached home while their teachers panicked and had to conduct home visit.

2007
I became Jack and beanstalk SSG's teacher. A horric year as their class was a tough one to teach. Jack and beanstalk never gave me much nonsense as compared to their peers. They would come in front of the class when I asked them to and my biggest challenge was them was their irregular attendance and not bringing any textbook during lessons. They hate me nagging. There was one episode whereby Beanstalk just walked out of the class (again.. without my permission) and entered the next class to get their whiteboard duster when I scolded them for not having a duster again (their class is always in a mess and I can never get them to clean before I start my lesson). He came back with that class's duster and said.. "nah... for you". I was speechless. He and his friends came back during Sept holiday for my remedial with all the wrong clothings.. But I was only too happy that they actually came back. I concluded then that W (their close friend) was smart, Jack studied smart and beanstalk was just a follower and dumb. Beanstalk never passed any tests. He would signed on my textbook that I loaned to him, drew weird stuffs on my test papers. I dont know how to connect to him and teach him.
Record of that year: Beanstalk beat his fellow classmate and that classmate's mom lodged a police report and he was handcuffed. He was given a chance and he studied his FYE... Jack and W retained while he was promoted to 4N.

2008
Beanstalk without his close peers would sit in front of the class and copied notes. He would even tried to note down what I said. I was amazed. He would teased my frowning and tried very hard not to make me unhappy... even to the extent of checking my timetable with CH. :)
He started to pass my test.
Record of that year: Beanstalk lost 2 friends/buddies while I lost 2 students. Beanstalk has to be a good student yet bearing up with his close friends' accusations that he has changed to become teacher's pet and forget all their brotherly promises. He went on to score a 3 for my SSG for N level which is the best grade I had for that class.

2009
Beanstalk continued to work hard. He would memorised all the details and was able to tell me the spelling errors in the textbook. He became my top student in the class. He would cheered me up and told me not to frown because he would studied hard. He and Jack reconciled. Jack tried to return to school and I end up being his art teacher briefly. However, Jack still have issues to addressed and he dropped out from school. Jack would sms me for advice on his SSG as he became a private candidate.
Record of that year: Beanstalk was my best SSG student for prelim and I dote on him alot.

2010
Beanstalk became the top 2 students in his Sec 5NA cohort. He got a B4 for my subject and he kept apologising to me for disappointing me. I smiled for I knew he did his best. Jack came with him to recieve his results. We took our first photo together.

p/s My hair is a mess in the photo but i guess Jack and beanstalk have seen me in worst state- crazier and more messy hair while trying to teach their crazy class in 2007. I am going to miss Beanstalk especially.

No comments: