It was raining. I should be at the gym working out if not for the rain and the piles of prelim paper I kept staring at. Had I go to the gym, I would not have recieve that phonecall so soon... to inform me that my students have passed on.
It was hard for me to accept the news... I teared... for a student who will called me "mummy" to irritate me. Being a teacher who dont like to give phone number, I only gave him mine a few days ago. I told him I will scold him if i know he reveal my HP. He smiled at me cheekily... I will name u as mummy in sch....nobody will know it's u. If I got into trouble in sch, maybe they will call u.
He shared about his ambition which was to become an accountant. His reason for choosing this school so that he can be with his gd friend who also chose this school. His weakness in languages which I empathised with him and we had a good laugh about it. He would teased me about "Balaysia and Glass". He would always smile when he passed by me... in the assembly area, in the art room, in the classroom." He would shout "Class, keep quiet...O Level". He wanted to prove me wrong that I will stare hard at his prelim paper because he was going to show me that he studied and I will not put crosses on the paper easily. Yes... he has proven to me...I will stare at his paper hard... cos this was the last paper he did for me... last paper he did before he passed on. I remember the smile that he gave when I collected his paper. A smile that said "I did my best... and i hope it will be ok".
I remembered him in his Sec 2 when I taught him for practicum... Coming in late for class with his weak shirt because he played basketball during recess. I remembered him sneaking in into my 4N class to be with his friend (Ian) and they will analyse if I am in a good mood or not. I remember both of them making an agreement to tell each other about my mood so that they can warn their class not to make me angry. I miss you, CH. I will miss giving you tuition which we agreed to have in Sept holiday..being a sweet student, I remembered you telling me that it's ok to cancel it if i'm too tired that day after I shared with you of my 4N siting for N level and coming back for my 5N's art coursework. But you know, I will always make time for students who want to learn.
To the other student whom I lost, you know you are a smart student who can study if you want. I remembered you as a student who came back in Sept holiday last year just to sit for my test with Del. One who will help me to shout the class to keep quiet if you did come to school. I remembered teaching you and Del about coast and shore platform and you scoring almost full marks. For someone who rarely come to school, I knew u really studied for me. When you see me heading to ur 4N class this year, you will smile and tell me..." see, got come to school"....
I'm glad you guys who are each other good friend since primary school chose the same secondary school and got posted here together to be my students. I'm glad that you have each other for company as you journey to another world.
Rest well, my students - CH and Wit.
CH- the only boy who appeared in my racial harmony photos(Jul 22) twice. I remember you asking me to let you wear my slippers cos it was "obiang" to wear sch shoes with ur baju. I rejected you for fear of u getting into trouble with discipline. I know you understand it.
1 comment:
Hey Shin, sorry to read about this and I felt sad after reading the news too. Hope the classmates would be coping well. You take care!
Post a Comment