Wednesday, August 06, 2008

pause and think

I'm not one who will take time to do survey, but I did one tonight. This simple survey asked one question that set me thinking about it.

What is the most important/significant achievement you have as a Geography teacher? Why do you consider it important/significant?
My Sec one called me a professor today.... when he said.. "you are my professor for Geography", I was too shocked to react. Coming from a student who is well read and is deemed by many as a student who think too highly of himself at times is bringing some smile on my face right now.
I am touched and the humble me wants to give some small credit to myself. I have never never never see myself as a Geography professor ... or even one who knows much about Geo despite graduating as a Geo major student. I always tell others... Hey!! I was a History student during my JC days. You ask me cheem stuffs and I will go like....."hmmm... now that is an interesting question" or simply " really?"

The students in this class are so eager to learn. We come up with interesting way to remember names like "lianas is unique in tropical climate..... you put the letter "A" infront of liana and you will have a A-lian.... which is unique in Singapore too!"I have another eager student who will go to the library and borrowed Geography Book and he will verified with me "was this what I meant in class that day?" I was like "WOW!!! you actually borrowed this book?" The only time I will go to a library to borrow such books will be the times I need to hand in some assignments and.... he has no assignment to hand in.

I guess these are moments I need to pen down and this survey came in at the right time for me to pause and think.... for a while. I have been soooooooo busy that I'm just want to sleep most of the time now when I free myself from work.

A friend once told me that as long as you can remember one or two students whom you have taught well and they appreciate you, it will be sufficient. I think I have more then 2 this year.

I have to be thankful. Amidst the whole pile of retarded things i have to do... and more challenging students to face.

Be thankful!

No comments: